Monday, August 25, 2008

8/26: Letter to Sarah

Well, my name is Betsy and I hope to gain more confidance in my writing. Before I took English 131 in the Winter Semester, I hadn't taken an English class since high school...and that was roughly eight years ago, needless to say, I was rusty. Writing to me is like running your nails across a chalk board, it is the last thing in the world I like to do...I do it because I have to. For as long as I can remember, I haven't been a writing fan...or a reading fan for that matter. In the course of all my schooling, I have written two papers I can say I am proud of, and read one book that I couldn't put down. Give me an Algebra problem that you need solved and I am all over it!

I think my major problem with writing is getting what is in my head on paper. I will write something, erase it, rewrite it, erase that, try something else, then give up. I get so frustrated when it doesn't turn out the way I want it to, not to mention I can't spell and have terrible grammer. If I never had to write anything above and beyone a memo, I would be the happiest person alive.

I will admit, I may not be bubbly like my introduction to class states, it was the first word that came to my head. I am shy and I don't care to have attention drawn to me, makes me really nervous. I promise to try my best, to be a part of the class, and turn everything in on time.

1 comment:

Sarah S said...

Hi Betsy,

I'm sorry to hear writing is so painful for you, and I hope that this class is less painful than your prior writing experiences. I appreciate all of your honesty in this letter, and I'll do whatever I can to make this class meaningful and helpful to you, rather than painful. I think many people can relate to your frustrations in writing, and in terms of getting what is "in your head" on paper; this is a struggle I find many students report having. We'll work on techniques for this, as well as spelling and grammar, as you mentioned. Welcome to the class! I'll do whatever I can to make the experience as unlike running nails down a chalkboards as possible!
Full credit