Tuesday, August 26, 2008

8/26: Analysis of Word/Image Combo

The picture that I chose for my Word/Image Combo speaks volumes to me, except I don't get A's and B's. As another school year starts, the more easily stressed and frustrated I become.

My target audience is anyone in college, or has ever been to college...we've all buried our heads in our hands at some point. This image could appear in classrooms, study halls, libraries, anywhere that students and teachers might gather.

The use of conventions basically came in a package. The layout, colors, and style of the picture were already provided. I chose the font to closely match that of a frazzled writer scribbling the reason for the frustration and stress.

I guess I wouldn't say that there was a message I was trying to convey. As I was thinking of things to do this assignment on, I began to drift off into my thoughts of what else I needed to do after this project was finished. Laundry, walk the dog, fix dinner, work on some math homework, were just a few of the tasks that crossed my mind, so I typed "stressed" into the Google toolbar and then clicked "images." I believe this image could easily be used in other scenarios such as office spaces where instead of graded papers and a text book, the figure could be placed between two tall stacks of papers, labeled "in box and out box", and a messy desk. Even a setting of an early morning, the figure in a bathrobe with a coffe cup and newspaper. I chose something I knew related to everyone in some way.

The biggest assumption I made was that everyone has stress, not matter how large or small an amount.

1 comment:

Sarah S said...

I love the combo you created and message behind it, Betsy. You say there isn't really a message you were trying to convey, but what an authentic process you went through to create (what I would call a message) that everyone can relate to. Especially in our class, where we are all students who can definitely relate to stress, this felt to me like a message of comradeship: we all struggle sometimes, and we are sort-of all in this together. Your creation shows a willingness to display honest frustrations with aspects of life that are common to most of us, which validates for your viewers that this is a shared, human experience. So I very much see a message in what you created, and I really love your explanation of the process you went through to create it. The convention of using "frazzled writing" as scribbled text was really effective too.
Full credit